Diabetic? Not sure what to eat? Then this list is just for you. Read about the many offerings nature has, which will help keep your diabetes in check. Here are some natural remedies
We understand that as a diabetic, your diet is of utmost importance. And that sometimes those sweet cravings are just way too hard to resist! So we bring you a list of natural goodies that tantalize your taste buds, are easy to find and as a bonus, are great for your health!
1. Pears: Rich in potassium and loaded with fiber, a pear is also low in carbohydrates! Add them in your fruit bowl or mix it up with spinach to get an instant fix for your hunger pangs. Despite the fact that fruits and vegetables are good for you, there’s no denying the fact that some of them contain sugar and carbohydrates, albeit in small amounts. So keep your portions small and do check with your nutritionist before any major diet changes.
2. Cabbage: Cabbage has a low glycaemic index of 10 which is very diabetes friendly. It is also a rich source of vitamin C and K. However, keep an eye on the fat content if you are including cabbage in your diet.
3. Berries: Tempting red strawberries or indigo colored blueberries or just any berries for that matter. Experts advice that these little colorful fruits are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and fibre and are low-carb! So top off your breakfast with some strawberries or just toss them in your mouth. It adds a pop of color and a dollop of health!
4. Oranges: Despite the fact that an orange contains sugar, it also contains other compounds that help control blood glucose, which makes it good for a diabetes patient. The soluble fibre present in an orange thickens as it’s being digested. This in turn slows down the sugar absorption, offering better control of your blood sugar.
5. Beans: Kidney beans, black beans or lentils have been shown to have immense health benefits for a diabetic. They are low fat, low calorie and high protein! They make you feel full, slow down your digestion process and prevent blood sugar from spiking.
6. Spinach: Is there nothing this super food can’t do? Research shows that green, leafy and fresh spinach is extremely low in calories and carbohydrates, which is especially good news if you are a diabetic. In fact, spinach is one of the rare things that a diabetic can eat almost freely!
7. Apples: Low in calories and carbohydrate content, this portable fruit can be toted around easily in your bag, making it the perfect snack. Fibrous, with tones of vitamins and antioxidants, this diabetes-friendly fruit will add a crunchy and healthy punch to your diet.
8. Okra (Lady’s finger): This vegetable is a sure shot hit with kids and diabetics! Like brinjals and oranges, the presence of soluble fiber in okra makes this humble vegetable one of the best things to eat if you are diabetic.
9. Brinjal: Non-starchy, low carbohydrate and soluble fiber, could a vegetable be more perfect for diabetes? Load up on this easily available vegetable and enjoy the goodness that it offers!
10. Cherries: If you have a sweet tooth, don’t worry! Sweet cherries are good for you! The sugar in them is natural. To add to that, they have a low calorie count and a minimal carbohydrate level! But make sure you check the labels before you pick up a can of cherries as many of them are loaded with artificial sweeteners!
Diabetes is among the most debilitating of lifestyle diseases, often the precursor to many other types of health disorders such as obesity, cardiovascular diseases and chronic illnesses of the eye. Most diabetics tend to depend upon taking medications, many of which include hormone supplementation injections and drugs for controlling the sugar levels. Though these aids are often critical for managing cases where diabetes seems to have turned into an incurable condition, it is always better to seeknatural cures. These natural remedies don’t put forth the kind of side-effects associated with stronger medications and can be resourced from our everyday supplies.
11. Drink water
Water tends to mobilize the high sugar content in blood and thereby helps in preventing aggravation. Drinking 2.5 liters of water, on a daily basis, will not only regulate physical functions but will also lower chances of cardiovascular and diabetic ailments.
12. Green Tea
Green tea is nothing less than a miracle cure for ailments. Consuming a cup of unsweetened green tea regularly will rid the body of free radicals and let the antioxidants, contained within, normalize the blood sugar levels. This will aid in reducingdiabetes and help keep the chances at bay.
Vinegar is an excellent dietary compound responsible for diluting concentrated sugar-levels in the blood. Studies have shown that two spoonfuls of vinegar before a meal can reduce the glucose influx.
14. Fresh Fruits
Natural fruit sugars are the best options, as dietary supplements, since they provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals required. Studies have shown that an adequate intake of Vitamin A and C maintains blood and bone health. Include fresh citrus fruits like oranges, apples, pineapples, grapes and lemons in your diet. Consume bananas in moderation, since their sugar structure is more complex than that of citrus fruits.
Soy proteins are one of the miracle cures for reducing diabetesamong crucial patients. There is flavones contained in them reduce the sugar content in blood and keep the body nourished, while accumulating much fewer calories, when compared to other foods.
18. Lean Meat
19. Cinnamon Powder
Powdered cinnamon, apart from spicing up your foods, has the ability to lower blood sugar levels, as well. Take a pinch of cinnamon with warm water every day and kiss diabetesgoodbye.
20. Small, Frequent Meals
High metabolic rates are highly conducive in maintaining blood-sugar levels and nothing keeps metabolism more fired up than consuming small portions, frequently. Studies have shown that frequent meals result in greater absorption of nutrients and lesser deposition of fat. Without fat deposition, the insulin secretion is normalized.
21. Using Methi Seeds: Fenugreek or Methi seeds are considered the most effective of natural cures that can help alleviate typical symptoms of diabetes. Methi seeds should be soaked in water overnight. The water concentrated with the seeds’ juices should be consumed early in the morning on an empty stomach. For making this natural concoction stronger, you can crush the seeds and sieve them through a cloth or filter paper.
22. Using Natural Juices